Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Slipknot?


I've been meaning to write this post for a really long time & now it seems the longer I wait, the more stale the situation seems to get.
I'm getting really sick of hearing the rumors about Slipknot getting together once again, making a new album & going back on tour.
Let me first just say, Slipknot was my favorite band for many years.
They've helped me through some of the roughest times in my life, they've made me view music in a different light & seeing them live in 2004 changed my life completely.
I'm not hating on Slipknot.
This is just how I feel...

While a lot of Slipknot fans hated Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses), that was the record that got me listening to Slipknot.
I was in junior high when that album came out, so there was no way I was listening to their self-titled or Iowa in elementary school.
It wasn't until I actually bought those albums that I started to understand why people were always shitting on Vol. 3.
Slipknot got somewhat soft & a little generic on that album.
Super catchy choruses, guitar solos &...acoustic songs?
I think if I hadn't fallen in love with that album first, I would've hated Slipknot for writing it too.

That's probably why I never bought All Hope is Gone.
Because all hope really was gone.
Someone put the a download link to the entire album the day it came out & when I took a listen, I hated what I heard.
That album was not the band I'd been listening to & supporting for all those years.
I never understood why Slipknot stayed together for so long.
They threated to break up a million & one times.
In every interview, all they would ever talk about was how much they couldn't stand being near one another.
They claimed to stay together for the fans & becuase they're music was such a driving force in their lives.
It seems like any real fan (speaking for myself, of course) would just want their favorite band to be happy.
I wouldn't want to listen to an album made by a group of people who hate each other.
That almost defeats the purpose of being a band.

When Slipknot released All Hope is Gone, I mourned the death of the Slipknot I once knew.
When Paul Gray unexpectedly passed away, I mourned the death of Slipknot as a whole.
Now that they still don't like each other, a member of the band is now gone & many of their original fans have given up on them, I don't understand why they're still contemplating continuing on.
The faceless, underground, risk of a band I once listened to is now a Grammy-winning, chart-topping, history-making metal band.
Success?
I'd say so.
Slipknot has always had the most devoted fans on the planet & they will never have to worry about not being able to fill up an arena.
I just feel like, maybe it is better to burn out than to fade away.
My interest in the band has been waning since their last album & now that Paul is gone, I think it would just be more respectful for them to call it quits rather than replace him.

I don't know.
I'm just trying to figure out why in the world they're trying to take it this far.
They've taken the masks off, they've made their cash, they've changed thousands of lives.
At some point, they're gonna have to just admit that it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment