Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Reasons For Leaving.


First of all, here is another perfect reason I will never call a band 'my favorite band' ever again.
I found this band from watching a girl on YouTube in 2006 (way before YouTube was even really a website). She lived in Pennsylvania & Reasons was a local band (whether they liked it or not). I'm not gonna lie, I got into the band for the same reason all their young listeners probably did: The first line in the chorus of their most popular song was 'Fuck me one more time'. Pretty dope when you're a sex-obsessed high school loner like yours truly. I thought the band sounded incredible from that song alone; their lead singer, M.J.'s (middle), vocals were eerily similar to Patrick Stump's of Fall Out Boy (who hadn't sold out just yet, at this point). I listened to all of the band's songs on their Myspace & memorized all the lyrics. There was something not just marketable but admirable about a local band of teenage boys, that was this good.
I'd heard some horror stories about M.J., mostly people would send him messages about their opinion of Reasons For Leaving & he would send you a lovey opinion of your mother back. I'm not saying that I think this is the 'Reason' the band decided to 'Leave' the scene, but they broke up in 2006.
Skip to 2007. While cleaning my room, I found a picture I'd kept of the band, I started missing them uncontrollably. So, I do what every smart 16 year old does, I find an illegal website that still hosts their music, convince my mom to let me use her credit card ('It's totally safe, mom. I double checked'), & download every song that Reasons for Leaving has ever recorded.
Long story shy, I've listened to this band almost every day of my life since 2007 & it's fair to say that they are on my top 10 list of favorite bands. Unfortunately, my old computer shit out on me, & my music folder wasn't saved in the crash. I lost ALL of my Reasons for leaving songs. Just becuase it's been 3 years & I just made fun of myself, don't think that I'm not planning on going back to that site at some point again. Reasons For Leaving is one of those bands thatjust makes me HAPPY, & you can't put a price (or risk factor) on that.
M.J. started another band, Sleep Sweet Motion, in 2007 & seemed to change his ways completely (judging by his soul-searching Myspace blogs). I sent him a message once, telling hi what his music has meant to me & how much I've always loved his voice, & he sent me back the kindest, most appreciative message I've ever received.
It's been a weird while, without having the option of rocking out to Reasons on my iPod, but, trust me, it won't be for long.
Check 'em out: myspace.com/reasonsforleaving
myspace.com/sleepsweetmotion
(If you want to hear the'fuck me' song, it's called 'Recreational Safety'. 'Bed of Roses' or 'Signs' are much better, though)

No comments:

Post a Comment